JD Mata Films

J.D. Mata is an actor, independent filmmaker, musician/ Choir Director, Piano Bar player, etc... He lives in Los Angeles. This is the place where he will reveal his "rebel without a crew" Robert Rodriguez inspired style of indie filmmaking secrets! And, just "A day in the life" stuff!

Thursday, March 12, 2009

FOR NO ONE episode 4 of my new Novela/Webisode series.


My approach toward filmaking has always been to create feature films. The process, although not rocket science, is brutally laborious and a test of ones stamina and ability to start and finish a marathon of a task. Therefore, short films have never been an option, until recently. I'm not saying there is no merit in making a short film. On the contrary, a short film is probably just as, or more difficult to make because you have such limited time to tell your story. Therefore, on that basis, I choose to shoot features primarily, until I came up with this project.

The approach was two fold. First, These novellas for the web, for all intensive purposes, are a series of short films. I chose this approach to simulate being an actual production company cranking out a t.v. series. "I am Mata Brothers!" haha Secondly, I will be shooting another feature film this spring, and I thought this would be an innovative way to workout the metaphorical filmaking muscles!

I hope you enjoy ep.4 I really this my best episode to date. This version is my second cut. I chose to re-cut the first scene by dramatically cutting it at least 2 minutes shorter. This was suggested to me by up and coming filmmaker Tobi Sackheim. After seeing the the first version, she told me this was my best episode yet, but it could really be outstanding if I stretched a little bit more creatively on the first scene, and that is what I did. Always stay teachable, always stay teachable!! I LOVE my life! xoxo, jd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home