JD Mata Films

J.D. Mata is an actor, independent filmmaker, musician/ Choir Director, Piano Bar player, etc... He lives in Los Angeles. This is the place where he will reveal his "rebel without a crew" Robert Rodriguez inspired style of indie filmmaking secrets! And, just "A day in the life" stuff!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

one, two, THREE, one two,THREE, one,two, THREE...

There were only three of us last night as I did pickup shots for my film MEXICAN AMERICAN PSYCHO! We consisted of Fernando Luis camera operator and 1st A.D., Chuck Cason, playing Detective jarvis, and myself, the "Mexican American Psycho," in the flesh! Major Kudos to Fernando for successfully shooting around my "Black eye!" Again, I can't stress enough, don't do anything avoidable that can cause you any injury until after you have COMPLETED your film! In any event, the evening started a bit shaky as I chose WAMU Bank on Lankershim to shoot part of a chase scene running up 20 flights of stairs. When we got there to shoot, the buiding was closed! Remember, I'm a Fugue Filmmaker! Fugue Filmaking has been defined in previous posts, but in short, there are no funds for locations. So, we were gonna shoot on the "Fly!" My survival skills kicked in, and I came up with the idea of shooting at the Subway Station nearby at Universal City. The shots, CHASE SCENE, looked great and had many extras, the people that were there exiting and waiting for the subway, which added production value. I was careful not to shoot any people from angles that would make them recognizable which would then require release forms. Then it was off to ERNIE's Taco house where I had permission to shoot outside their building. We shot a fight scene where I got my assed kicked by Detective Jarvis! You would think my black eye would have been perfect for this scene;however, remember, these were Pickup/reshoots, so I've already shot the movie, and you don't see me with a Black eye in the following scene. In short it woulldn't work. It was all punches to the stomach and kicks to the torso. Chuck gave me a good old fashioned cinematic ass whipping! Then we went to an auditorium in North Hollywood where the chase climaxes and I kill Jarvis. I know this sounds convoluted, but in editing it all works! A few more pickup shots today and tomorrow and it's OVER! It has been a brutal five months!!! love, jd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home